Phenomenal. This book has become one of my all time favorite books. I rank Crazy Love with Desiring God by John Piper. I highly recommend that you read it. I wish I had the resources to get a copy for every believer I know.
Here are some quotes from the book:
- “We need to stop giving people excuses not to believe in God. You’ve probably heard the expression, ‘I believe in God, just not organized religion’. I don’t think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to ‘I can’t deny what the church does, but I don’t believe in their God.’ At least then they’d address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat.”
- “When we face the holy God, ‘nice’ isn’t what we will be concerned with, and it definitely isn’t what He will be thinking about. Any compliments you received on earth will be gone; all that will be left for you is truth.”
- “The goals of American Christianity are often a nice marriage, children who don’t swear, and good church attendance. Taking the words of Christ literally and seriously is rarely considered. That’s for the ‘radicals’ who are ‘unbalanced’ and who go ‘overbaoard.’ Most of us want a balanced life that we can control, that is safe, and that does not involve suffering.”
- “If life is a river, then pursuing Christ requires swimming upstream.”
- “God doesn’t call us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn’t come through.”
- “Why is it that the story of someone who has actually done what Jesus commands resonates deeply with us, but we then assume we could never do anything so radical or intense? Or why do we call it radical when, to Jesus, it is simply the way it is? The way it should be?”
- “The first church responsed with immediate actions: repentance, baptism, selling possesssions, sharing the gospel. We respond with words like Amen, Convicting sermon, Great book . . . and then are paralyzed as we try to decipher what God wants for our lives.”
Theres so much more in the book that I can’t write it all down. Check it out for yourself.